also the Fan Canon, Untold Told, and Off Hours

Monday, September 30, 2019

(Asking Too Much) The Argument For The Fan Canon


In Knights of the Old Republic we have Carth, Bastila, Canderous, T3-M3, and HK-47 all up for returning at least for a cameo in Sith Lords if you indicate to Atton that the previous game ended on the light side.  And if you go for the dark side then just about everyone ends up dead, dead... dead, dead, dead.

So the sequel gives us a better idea of what happened to the characters that lived through the dark side ending, but since the Revan book was made the canon version of Kotor then we have a lot up in the air of what ultimately happened to these characters.  That's what I'm after with Bindo's Journey.

Now the sequel to Bindo's Journey is True Truce, which is set during the Clone Wars.

And I notice that a lot of YouTubers are engaged with what-ifs launching from the prequel triology far more-so than the original trilogy, which in part has to do with it being seemingly harder to justify a change in the original trilogy.  Though there be Sidious' grand plan, the Clone Wars appear more fluid to us mostly because it is.  Darth Sidious as a strong influence over the Galaxy, but lacks the control he so desires.

And in the last season of the Clone Wars the writers actually allowed the Jedi to trace Sifo-Dyas' end definatively to Count Dooku.  They confirm the clone army is more than mysterious, but created by their very enemy.  And Yoda has this to say:

Yoda: They have proved themselves...

Stormtrooper:  Move alone.  Move along.

I can accept why the writers had to make this creative decision.  They are writing a prequel to a beloved tribology that they can't violate the story to.  But no one could have opened a wider door to an alternate series of events to go down.  And while as a rule I don't want the Fan Canon to violate established events, in this case I am making an exception.  I'm still not sure where it will all end up, though, I do have a wild surprise in store for you since this will hopefully turn into a deeper exploration of the Star Wars universe.

Then on to the next series in the Fan Canon, we have Stargate's attempt to wrap up loose ends.
I simply don't believe the Ark of Truth ties up the Ori arc.  Think about it.  The Ori may be gone, but they leave behind defunct followers with a fleet of generally unstoppable warships.  Who's to say the warriors decide to go home?  According to the established rules of Stargate the Priors will still have their powers.  What do they do with their lives?  Where does Earth go from here?

From SG-1's time traveling episode back to 1969 and their brief jaunt to the future we learn that the Stargate appears to fall out of disuse or at least insignificant enough to allow an old woman to appear with the keys to it in her nightgown.  So I want to learn how that came to be, and I'm calling the series the End of Gates.

From there I've got a lost of classic series that just didn't get an ending: Lost In Space, Earth 2, Buck Rodgers, original Battlestar Galactica, Firefly; all these and more that while I'm at it I'm going to weave into a larger story.  Having ALL these Sci-Fi stories taking place in another universe is just lazy.  I've had to jump through a few hoops to fit more than one "first contacts," but I've arrived at some creative solutions.

If you're at all interested in this experiment of mine I hope that you won't just sit by in silence and leave me to figure this all out by myself.  I can't bring every Sci-Fi story into the Fan Canon, but fortunately I don't know every Sci-Fi story so there's some plausible deniability there.

Most important of all, let me know when it's not fun for you anymore.

Thanks.










No comments:

Post a Comment