also the Fan Canon, Untold Told, and Off Hours

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Scene 18: The Meet


The back half of the police hover craft lies open and the officer casts an inviting hand inside with a ceremonious bow as Aaron marches on inside and the officer follows behind.  Rune and Tulia initially attempt to follow, but are quietly obstructed by two guards several feet from the open hatch; too far away to hear.

NOAH:  I don't believe that I'll 
be needing to impound that.

Aaron begins to pour a drink from a
private cupboard and hands the first
glass to the officer before pouring another.

AARON:  Circumstances have 
changed since we last spoke, Noah.

NOAH:  I'd say they changed 
rather dramatically just now.

He nocks back the glass.

NOAH:  I let you come to my moon and 
in that time you blow up a hospital, 
pick a fight at the Grim Grip, leave, 
and then not only come back, but try 
to destroy a refugee encampment.

AARON:  Are you going to give me
 a chance to explain all that?

NOAH:  I would be very pleased to learn 
there is a reason why my patrol craft 
has a liquor cabinet, Aaron.

Aaron pours Noah another drink.

NOAH:  You're enough to 
drive all your friends to drink.

AARON:  Yeah.  I can see that I'm the 
one who really fowled up paradise.

NOAH:  You've been rogue 
ever since Drusus Gaul.

AARON:  That was a fair bounty.

NOAH:  You were grandstanding 
going into the ring alone like that.

AARON:  Tell me nobody else would have 
gotten killed going up against 
that grenade-happy maniac.

NOAH:  And things have only gotten 
worse since then.  Do you realize how 
much trouble you have to cause for 
you to get noticed in Hell?

AARON:  I'm still looking for a way out.

NOAH:  I bet.  You probably want that 
whole blockade to come down on us.  
You're taking a sledge hammer to a very 
delicate situation for everyone.
I'm responsible to the people here.

AARON:  It's really not me, Noah.  
You're talking to the wrong guy.

NOAH:  I just want to put you on notice because 
we're friends, Aaron.  You have officially piqued 
my professional interest.  And I intend to make it 
my person mission to get to the bottom of whatever 
it is you're doing.  You make a run on the blockade 
if you really want.  But you don't have to burn 
down the whole star system before you do it.

AARON:  You want to investigate something?

Noah cocks an eyebrow.

AARON:  Here.  You can help me with this.

He hands the dead stone to Noah.

NOAH:  What's this supposed to be?

AARON:  I don't know.

NOAH:  Funny.

AARON:  I'm very serious, Noah.  
What I just gave you is important. 
 Do you mind calling in some 
non-mutual acquaintances 
to help get a bead on it?

Noah weighs it in the palm of his hand.

NOAH:  Maybe I'm talking to 
the right man after all.

AARON:  One more thing, Noah.  
Someone's already killed for that.  
And we are friends.  If I had any idea 
who was behind it I would tell you.

NOAH:  Okay, Aaron.  I believe you.
I'll help you with this.

He clutches the stone and it disappears into his fist.
Unseen to Aaron, he casts his eyes to a darkened
corner of the room before nocking back the
last of his drink and turning to leave.

NICODEMUS:  You weren't supposed to 
show that to the authorities.  Much less, 
hand it over to your friend there.

Aaron peers into the darkness and sees
a large form rise from his seat.
Nicodemus lumbers on over to
the bar and pours himself a drink.

AARON:  Noah's a good man.  I respect him.  
He maintains some semblance of order on Orelius.

NICODEMUS:  Your friend is the vestigial arm 
of a subsumed government.  I keep order here.  
The Grim Grip is the true capital of Orelius.  
If you're looking for someone to 
respect then look no further.

AARON:  I take it that you're the one who hired.

NICODEMUS:  Not quite.  I'm just the middle 
man in this little affair.  I'm being paid a handsome 
amount to turn on my employer.  And that crew 
of yours is going to help me.  

AARON:  Depends on the job.

NICODEMUS:  You had the job.  He gave me 
a test to come up with the right crew.  
That lump isn't what you were 
supposed to deliver.  You blew it.

AARON:  Then why is the job still on?

NICODEMUS:  Because it confirms 
a suspicion I had.  It looks like you 
had the same idea.  You know what it is.

AARON:  I've only heard rumors.

NICODEMUS:  I've seen it... first hand.  
You want to get passed the blockade, 
that's the ticket you need to punch.

AARON:  So what's our take of the cut?

NICODEMUS:  Ha!

He puts down the glass.

NICODEMUS:  1%... each, of what I'm getting.
Out of my expense.  My risk.

AARON:  You must be joking.

NICODEMUS:  No.  1% of a very generous offer.  
You don't want to let something like this pass you by.

AARON:  You still have to make the offer to my crew.

NICODEMUS:  Not here.  We need someplace 
more private to bring them in.  No one can 
know we're planning this thing until it's done.








PREVIOUS                                                                                                                                     NEXT

No comments:

Post a Comment