also the Fan Canon, Untold Told, and Off Hours

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Scene 20: The Heist (Part 1)


The crew flies across the night-side cityscape of Janriel in that taxi that delivered them from Orelius.  Esben slips a fallen sleeve back in his satchel. Valory playfully elbows his ribs.

Rune catches Nicodemus' attention
by constantly turning his head.

NICODEMUS:  Something I should know?

RUNE:  That so-called competition of ours... 
I'm starting to think they can show up anywhere they like.  

NICODEMUS:  Well they are machines aren't they?  
Attack drones are expendable.  They also have 
to be sourced by a command-and-control.  If they were 
after me and we weren't on our way out I'd say the first 
priority is to search and destroy their base of operations.  
But they're not after me so it doesn't matter.

Safe chimes from Rune's feet.
He gives it a half-hearted kick
and Safe disappears beneath the seat.

The ride continues in silence with the wind whipping and whistling passed the open windows.  Esben leans into the breeze while Valory tugs his arm with every passing sight that glimmers in her eye.  Ross, on the other hand, sits stiff with his eyes closed, tightly.  He murmurs to himself regarding "the taxi is just as safe as the shuttle was," but he has become largely white in the arms over the thought of flying with an open canopy.

Tulia glances down and observes Aaron's own
nervousness in the form of repeatedly removing
and replacing the battery cartridge to one of his pistols.

TULIA:  You know that's not good for the gun.  
You're going to need that in a minute.

AARON:  I know.  

TULIA:  I know you're a soldier now.  

AARON:  I was.

TULIA:  And you still get nerves?

AARON:  Every time I know I'm going into a big fight.  
Most are over too quick.  But I don't think this 
one's going to be quick.

TULIA:  Hmph.  Something must be wrong with me.

SWEETS:  What makes this different than the station?

ROSS:  Some of us don't want 
to live through all that again.

AARON:  Before, it was a couple hired guns who 
didn't know what they were protecting.  We're talking 
about the last ship off Janriel.  Do you really 
think that's going to come easy?

The taxi banks and Aaron holsters his weapon.

NICODEMUS:  We're coming up on it.

Valory leaps forward and leans between
Aaron and Tulia's backward-facing bench
seats and over Clemence's left shoulder.

NICODEMUS:  Can I help you with something?

VALORY:  I've never been this close before.  
That's the Steelgazer.  It's one of the largest 
structures you can see from Orelius.

NICODEMUS:  Yeah.  That's Mr. Vincent's estate.

VALORY:  Estate?  You mean he owns all that?  

Formally mesmerized by the structure,
now her thoughts cloud with soon being there.

VALORY:  Wow.  I never imagined one day 
I'd be shooting up the Steelgazer.
That's just... surreal.

Tulia yanks her up and shoves
Valory back into her seat.

Esben barks a growl.

TULIA:  Ah, calm down big guy.  
Look, you're not shooting up anything.  
You'll help us bypass the security alarms.  
And you're going to stick close to Ross and Sweets.

VALORY:  No way.  Esben and I are going with Aaron.  
These two draw way too much shooting.

Ross gulps.

AARON:  Trade you jobs.

Ross shakes his head.

NICODEMUS:  You just make sure 
Mr. Vincent buys your act.  
The fighting doesn't start 
until after he leaves.

VALORY:  What's the big deal about that?

NICODEMUS:  I don't just call anybody mister.

Aaron turns his head at the admission,
but Clemence remains stoic with
his eyes locked forward on their
intended destination he has
set them all towards.

The Taxi arrives at the 30th floor landing platform; a little less than halfway.  The crew disembarks with Mr. Clemence leading the way.  There is already a loan figure standing beneath an ornate archway with the backdrop of the polished interior of the skyscraper.  Aaron senses Nicodemus' demeanor in not showing his back to this character and also assumes the same stance for Mr. Clemence.  So he then leans slightly to Valory for her to retrieve Safe from beneath the seat.

Aaron and Nicodemus approach their host with
the remainder of the crew staying several paces behind.

MR. VINCENT:  Nicodemus.

The old man greets them with a warm smile.  He places one of Nicodemus' hands in his own and folds his second over Nicodemus' hand.  His face is deeply creased from having lived under a bright sun.  Janriel's star is moderate and could not have been Mr. Vincent's first home.  These same creases turn to shadowy canyons, apparently bottomless, beneath the addition of Mr. Vincent's grin.  The gentleman's teeth are synthetic and therefore quite naturally white.  His silk purple robe is among the finer things that can no longer be carried to Janriel.  Nicodemus thinks he notices a few stray strands.

NICODEMUS:  Mr. Vincent.

He smacks the top of Nicodemus' hand
to continue to clasp it and breathes a deep sigh.

MR. VINCENT:  I hope you have come to bring 
me good news.  Does all go well?  Who are these... 
people that you have brought to my home?

Nicodemus clasps Mr. Vincent's arm with
his other hand and leans in to whisper,
much to Mr. Vincent's widened eyes.

NICODEMUS:  I know what 
happened at the Black Vault.

MR. VINCENT:  How could you?  
I never told you-

NICODEMUS:  Because I have 
come across an informant, Mr. Vincent.  

MR. VINCENT:  What good are informants 
without the facts?  Did you break him, 
Nicodemus?  Or are you slipping?

NICODEMUS:  He says the 
Republic raided your station.

MR. VINCENT:  Impossible.  
I would know-

NICODEMUS:  How else could I have 
learned about the station?  I wish I 
could say I was surprised by it.  

Mr. Vincent lets go and waves his
hands in front of his face.

MR. VINCENT:  What is his credibility?

NICODEMUS:  He is ex-military.  He learned about 
the raid through some old contacts.  And I learned 
that while the informant was on his way to you 
that the Republic was initiating a drone strike 
to stop him.  There was no time.  I dispatched 
this band of mercenaries to recover him.  

Valory glances questioningly at Tulia who
ever so slightly shakes her head.

MR. VINCENT:  Them?  Why do they have a child with them?

VALORY:  Me?

MR. VINCENT:  Yes, you.  What business do you have with me?

VALORY:  Well- I- I pull my weight Mr. Vincent.

MR. VINCENT:  How nice that must be for you.

Sweets needles Esben's side
to halt his building growl.

VALORY:  But I did always dream of 
coming here one day, Mr. Vincent.  
All lit up with gold.  You can see the 
Stargazer really well at night from Orelius.

MR. VINCENT:  The star...

VALORY:  Stargazer.  
That's what we call it back home.  
You don't call it that here?

MR. VINCENT:  The Stargazer... 
That name is... Well that's rather quaint.  Miss?

VALORY:  Valory.  Uh- I mean, 
Ms. Valory Adhama at your service.

She offers up her hand.

NICODEMUS:  If I can get 
back to the business at hand-

He tries to shove her to one side.

MR. VINCENT:  Mr. Clemence, we 
must show some manners to our guests.

He takes hold of one hand and wraps an arm around her waist.
With a flash of concern she glances to Esben who bares his teeth.

NICODEMUS:  I'm sorry, but we weren't 
here about the station.  The Republic is 
preparing another raid on you.

MR. VINCENT:  Where?

NICODEMUS:  Here.

Mr. Vincent shoves Valory to the
side leaving her reeling for balance.

MR. VINCENT:  Why did you not tell me sooner?

NICODEMUS:  I knew you wouldn't 
believe me unless I brought you proof.  

MR. VINCENT:  Which one is the informant?

AARON:  I am, Mr. Vincent.

MR. VINCENT:  Well, out with it!

AARON:  The raid will be tomorrow night.  
It was delayed because they're still cleaning up
what they can from the station.

MR. VINCENT:  Am I supposed to believe 
that this is some neighborly warning?

AARON:  Well, no.  Mr. Clemence
 promised you would pay well for this.

MR. VINCENT:  And yet you forgo negotiation.  
Almost as if he had no interest in bargaining with me.

AARON:  (to Clemence) You gave your word.

NICODEMUS:  I did, Mr. Vincent.  

MR. VINCENT:  Who authorized you to do that?

NICODEMUS:  I am second only to you, Mr. Vincent.

MR. VINCENT:  And?

NICODEMUS:  The threat is credible.  
Just as I told you in the past, this estate 
is not above reprisal from the Republic.  

Mr. Vincent speaks into one ear.

MR. VINCENT:  Who are these strangers 
you have brought to my home?

NICODEMUS:  I have told them nothing
about the Shadow's Heart.
The Republic is coming, Mr. Vincent.

Mr. Vincent leans out of his close conversation
with Nicodemus and stares him down with clenched jaw.

MR. VINCENT:  You expect to be paid?

AARON:  Yes(?)

MR. VINCENT:  How did you come by this information?
Who are you, Mr. Ex-military?

AARON:  I am Lieutenant Aaron Miles 
of the Imperial 8th Spiral Arm Infantry.  
I currently serve in the mercenary 
role of local law enforcement.

MR. VINCENT:  Bounty hunter.

AARON:  You could say that.

MR. VINCENT: Your empire fell 
under your watch, Mr. Miles.

AARON:  Not from any of the
battles I was there for.

Mr. Vincent strikes him across the face.

Aaron draws his right pistol for Vincent's
head and the left for Nicodemus.
After a breath of thought, Tulia draws
on Aaron and the others follow suit.

MR. VINCENT:  Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

He wags a finger.

MR. VINCENT:  I really had you going there.

He continues to laugh and Aaron keeps
his weapons raised, but looks back
to see his friends pointing weapons at him.

MR. VINCENT:  Relax, relax.  Put those away.  
So then serving under the Republic did not 
sit well with you, I take it.

AARON:  It was best for that time in my life to end.

MR. VINCENT:  Come now, you can be honest here.

AARON:  I still have superiors in the service.

MR. VINCENT:  Oh... I understand entirely.  
Nicodemus, you could not have chosen better.  

Clemence clears his throat and assumes
casually looking off into the distance.

MR. VINCENT:  I will, still, need to, of course, 
verify your story with my own sources.  
You all will stay here as my guests tonight.  

He waves past them to the taxi
with an immensely friendly grin.
The taxi folds away into traffic.

MR. VINCENT:  Please rest assured that our 
security is most adequate here at the... Steelgazer.  
Though, in the event of a breach, we shall endeavor 
to see all my guests to safety.  I trust your 
mercenaries will be up to the task?

NICODEMUS:  Yes, Mr. Vincent.

MR. VINCENT:  Excellent.  Now that this matter has been
brought to my attention, please see our guest to his
quarters, put the mercenaries up, and make sure 
the staff serves them well.

NICODEMUS:  Yes, Mr. Vincent.

The old man walks gingerly up an imperial staircase.

VALORY:  (amplified whisper) Now what?

Tulia muffles her with a hand
while Valory also suffers
beneath Nicodemus' glare.

AARON:  Any room that you know isn't bugged?

NICODEMUS:  Follow me.  By the way, I'd say he 
just ordered me to kill you if the Republic came early.

The walls shimmer with polish the same as the floor.  But whereas the walls are gold the floor is dark ebony wood.  Valory delights in detecting a creak in the floor.  She bends to listen close to the ground and Esben hooks a paw under her arm.

ESBEN:  The petrified floor will 
betray you.  Don't listen to it.

VALORY:  I won't draw attention to us.  
I just never walked on real wood before.

ESBEN:  You still must wait.  
This tree is long dead.  

RUNE:  (whisper) Come on guys.  
We need to keep up here.

They leave the open area for a narrower series of hallways.  Under their chaperone, they amiably pass sporadic pairs of guards.  Esben has fallen toward the back and Valory quick-walks at a steady pace around the middle of the pack.  Coming to a intersection, she glances up at those gleaming walls and spies a terrible sight.  Without word to the others, she turns back, takes Esben's hand and guides him a short distance back where they came to duck into a vacant state room.

She watches from the doorway and Tulia quietly alerts the others to their missing companions with a grab of Aaron's arm and in turn a tap on Clemence's shoulder.  They stop and four Noclysis pass them.  They glare at Sweets who averts his gaze.  Ross cranes his neck and spots Valory peeking out from the doorframe.  They all gather around the open door with Valory looking at them sheepishly.

TULIA:  What were you thinking?

Esben steps into the light, behind her.

VALORY:  You want to move around quietly?  
Not a single Noclysis can see Esben.  
Don't ask me how, but they always 
know he doesn't belong.

AARON:  Sweets?

SWEETS:  I'm not exactly on good terms with 
other Noclysis myself, as a matter of fact.  
That would speak to why I ended here with 
all of you.  But she's right.  No other Noclysis will 
tolerate the sight of Esben.  I'm honestly surprised any are here.

NICODEMUS:  Good guards.  Smart enough to use a gun.  
Dumb enough to get saturated with a lot of hits.  

SWEETS:  I suppose I resemble that.

TULIA:  How many would Vincent have hired?

NICODEMUS:  I haven't done business with them.
I'm told they come pretty cheap.

RUNE:  Maybe we toughened Sweets up.
These guys could go over more easily.

NICODEMUS:  I'd sooner guess
that you softened him up.  

RUNE:  Hey, I'm just trying to get
my head in the game here.

NICODEMUS:  I don't care about your 
petulant need for optimism.  I have quarters
here and the equipment we'll need is there.
Keep that thing out of sight until then.

AARON:  Stay here.  Lock the door.

NICODEMUS:  I thought the kid
was along for fancy locks.

TULIA:  Is your room going to need lock picking?

VALORY:  I ain't leaving Esben.

AARON:  We'll double back.  It'll be fine.

NICODEMUS:  We're all going to get shot
skulking around this place long before
we ever catch sight of the Shadow's Heart.

Clemence stomps off without the rest of them.
Everyone follows in line and Aaron is the last.

AARON:  We'll be back.  
It's going to be alright.  We'll be back.

Valory seals the door and slides the lights up to a brighter illumination.  The walls are pink and genuinely soft to the touch.  There is an impression of a hand.  The bed is white sheets with pink frills.  The floor is a cherry wood.  Esben stands before a full length mirror; several paces back so that he fits into frame.  He stands still for a time and then starts tweaking hairs and matting portions down in a meek effort to self-groom.

VALORY:  Hey... you look good, don't you buddy?  

He moans.

VALORY:  You thinking about home?  
Do you think we might be able to get there?

ESBEN:  I cannot make a place for you there.
There is no place for me there.

VALORY:  Don't talk like that.  
We're going to fix you up real good
for seeing all your friends again.
There has to be someone who would
be happy to see you again.  I've seen
too much from you to think otherwise.

He moans again.

VALORY:  Why do you look so sad?
You don't look like you've seen a
mirror before, to me.

ESBEN:  The water does not pool
except in places too dark to see.

VALORY:  You've never seen yourself before?

ESBEN:  Not until I met you.

She will not be allowed to contemplate this.
There is a nock at the door.  They share a
panicked glance to each other for a brief
moment.  Then Esben snarls down at Valory.

VALORY:  Who is it?

MAN:  Don't by coy, darling.  Open the door.  
I can see your light's on.

VALORY:  Damn it.

Esben scowls.

VALORY:  Really?  You want to 
complain about that now?

MAN:  What?

VALORY:  Look, I'm... taken.  

MAN:  Fine.  Then remember 
to change your light.

She bounds across the room
and presses to listen at the door.

VALORY:  Look, I can't see what light 
he's talking about.  Let's just get out of here.

She turns down the room light, takes Esben by the paw and they creep to the door that connects to an adjoining room.  Having glanced beneath the doorframe, Valory believed that this other room was dark as well.  But opening the door they both find ribbons of light in reds, greens, blues.  And in the otherwise silent dark room there strewn about are a body of mesmerized Noclysis.  They duck back and close the door.

VALORY:  What's wrong with them?

ESBEN:  The changing colors 
excite their sensitive eyes.

VALORY:  I never saw them 
behave that way on Orelius.

ESBEN:  One-time drug.  Dealers let 
them stay until broke or starve.

VALORY:  That's horrible.

ESBEN:  Good for us.  
They won't be up to fighting.

VALORY:  So we could sneak 
passed them if we had to?

ESBEN:  Not up to fighting.  
Doesn't mean they won't try anyway.

Valory slumps down to the floor and Esben rocks her on his lap.
He rests his hairy cheek on the top of her head and she holds his arms.

VALORY:  I hope the others come back soon.








PREVIOUS                                                                                                                                     NEXT

No comments:

Post a Comment