also the Fan Canon, Untold Told, and Off Hours

Friday, November 23, 2018

Scene 21: The Greatest Lie Ever Told

(And Never Heard)

The tower.

ABBESS:  We are abandoned, Samael.  
The Shadow's Heart moves away from us.

SAMAEL:  So I was right for suspecting 
Vincent.  He has betrayed me.

ABBESS:  The Heart rested on the surface of Janriel.  
You might have gone to it yourself.  Had you employed 
your will there, none could have stood before you.  
Instead, a small rabble claim it for themselves.  
And by the barest margin, as I heard it.

SAMAEL:  Their difficulties are of no 
consequence so long as they succeed.

ABBESS:  You are betrayed, again.  
We are left.  Have we fallen so far?

SAMAEL:  I shall employ them further.

ABBESS:  End this madness.

SAMAEL:  I intend to.  

ABBESS:  You make too much of your proxies.

SAMAEL:  The Shadow's Heart cannot leave Janriel.  
It is a valuable instrument to be used.  And it requires a crew.  
They are now forged into one and I have dispatched 
an important task with them.

ABBESS:  More machinations.  But these are flesh.  
Not unwieldy, but decidedly unpredictable on occasion.  
And that occasion might come at that most critical of times.

SAMAEL:  I do as well is required of me 
with the other denizens of Janriel.

ABBESS:  Tell me, Samael.  You who stand in dominion of Janriel, 
what was the greatest lie that the Order ever told you?

SAMAEL:  I remember well, teacher.  But even if I were to tell 
her she could hear the words and not understand.  

ABBESS:  We are but crude flesh and yet I 
know your own desire.  Let us take possession 
of the Shadow's Heart.  It is yours.

SAMAEL:  It was never mine.  That was 
the lesson, if you remember.

ABBESS:  In part.

SAMAEL:  Yes, in part.  But you trust my understanding, teacher.  
We can speak easily between us.  In another, such a small 
amount of knowledge could prove all too dangerous.

ABBESS:  And so you do not have to quibble with me 
when I say take possession of it.  We could still do 
what has been left undone.  And we can leave Janriel.

SAMAEL:  I am doing it, teacher.  I have chosen where I will stand.  
My enemy merely forces me to wait; for the taunting.  
He hopes so desperately that I shall be moved.  
I will remain.  And when the time comes I know 
that you will slip away from me, teacher.  I forgive you.

ABBESS:  Thank you for forgiving me what I have not 
yet done.  But if my teachings forsake you then I am hardly 
your teacher.  But I will see this journey to the end 
with you, Samael.  I only hold out hope that 
you might take the opportunity that has 
come before you.  The Shadow's Heart is an 
incredible gift that shall not return once departed.

SAMAEL:  The Shadow's Heart remains employed 
in my behalf.  I merely set it on its course.  
Now we will see what comes of the 
events that have been set into motion.








PREVIOUS                                                                                                                                     NEXT

No comments:

Post a Comment